Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup in the crock pot

The end result
So I had some chicken out, and wanted to do something new. I saw a recipe on somewhere for a Chicken Taco Soup! That sounded delightful to me!! So, here's what I did. I poured 2 cans of chicken broth in my lovely friend, crock pot. I then added 4 big fat boneless, skinless chicken breasts. A few sprinkles of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. I would have used a few parts of fresh garlic if I had any on hand, but this was a spur of the moment adventure. I cooked the chicken in the broth mix on high for about 4 hours...checking them regularly for doneness. (Is 'doneness' really a word?) The chicken is cooked through now, so I took it out of the crock pot to shred it. I saw a pin on Pinterest about shredding chicken, and let me tell you what....G-E-N-I-U-S! Cut the breasts in about thirds, put them in your bowl that attaches to your fancy dancy KitchenAid Mixer. Put the regular mixing paddle on and turn it on! It works so well!!!! Never again will I shred meat with 2 forks! Just watch for flying chicken for the first little while. The pieces get pushed out at first, until the meat starts shredding.
While the chicken was shredding, I added a large can of tomato sauce, and a soup can size can of tomato paste. I only added the paste because I prefer a thicker soup. I then chopped half an onion with my wonderful Pampered Chef food chopper! I added the onion, 2 packets of taco seasoning, and one cup of roasted diced chili peppers. You can use the canned ones. I used some that I made and froze from my Daddy's garden this past summer. Some recipes I looked at called for red beans. Some for black beans. Some for both. I used 4 cans of black beans. Mostly because my family prefers black beans, and partly because I had several cans of them on hand, and the red beans I do have, are bagged and dry and as I stated before....this was a spur of the moment recipe. So, after I added all of the beans, put the chicken back in the pot, and stirred it all up, I let it all cook together for about 2 more hours on high. I love corn in my chicken taco anything....and most of us like corn, but it really, really doesn't like some of us...so I didn't add the corn to the soup, but heated some in a separate bowl to add as wanted.  The soup turned out great!!! The kids loved it...and even the picky baby girl gobbled it up! Success!! My bowl (the one pictured) had the soup, with corn added, topped with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar, and tortilla chips for some crunch!  

No comments:

Post a Comment